Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Possum vs. Rake

As it turns out, Possum isn’t the Rake.

I have no idea what Possum is. He’s greyish-white with small curved claws, a short snout, large crocodile-like teeth, and yellow eyes. Kind of has a canine-like appearance, with an arched spine. He makes a chirping noise, like a cheetah or a serval. The Rake hates him.


Last night…


I finally used some binoculars to get a good look at Possum. Possum was acting adorable; batting around a can and making chirping sounds. He acted completely different from the last time I saw him. The last two times he was sitting silently or lurking about. This puzzled me, but I didn’t think much of it. Now I think it was the Rake I saw those first two nights, and Possum appeared on the third night.
He stayed there for an hour (maybe? I lost track of time. It was more than 30 minutes). I chatted on Twitter and looked at him every once in a while. Every time I looked he was still there, transfixed by that can.

After a while, I saw movement behind Possum. I was something white hiding in the in the trees, but I couldn’t make out what it was. Suddenly the Rake threw itself at Possum, snarling and hell bent on ripping his head off.

(I must have been a serial killer in a past life, because the Rake appearing practically on my doorstep can only be punishment for some horrible thing I’ve done. If there’s anything I hate as much as that [censoredcensoredcensored] Executor, it’s the Rake. Don’t ask me for a description of the thing, I didn’t take the time to look at it. All I was it’s general shape, it’s color, and it’s huge claws.)

 And of course I had to interfere. Why? Maybe just to spite the Rake. I’ll get back to you on that. I didn’t see much of their fight, but they were making one heck of a ruckus. I went to a window and saw that the Rake was pinning Possum down and ripping at him with his claws. Deciding to test a theory, I reached over and snapped on the (extremely bright) outside lights. Not my best move. Things worked out for Possum though.

As soon as the light hit him the Rake reared back on his hind legs. Possum took the opportunity to make his escape. Then the Rake screeched. It was the most horrible sound I have ever heard. Words cannot describe it. I staggered and fell to my knees. It was like he was screeching right inside my head. I don’t know how long he screeched, I lost my hearing fairly quickly. I sat there for a few minutes with my head on my knees, feeling a little nauseous from the headache. When I managed to get up I look out the window, the Rake was gone. I still haven’t got my hearing back completely, and my ears are ringing.

Why do weird things find me? I suppose it doesn’t help that I live in the middle of nowhere. I’ve seen Bastet, one of the Convocation’s nests, a Shadow Person, Sekhmet, Possum and now the damn Rake. Well, Bastet and Sekhmet are okay. Before seeing them I never believed in them and they just showed up, which is strange, but whatever. They’re not trying to kill me in my sleep, so I like them.
At least my brush with the Convocation wasn’t that bad. I was fourteen, and I was walking in the woods when I saw what I’m reasonably certain was a woman. I admired her lovely cloak that was made of black feathers from afar, and then as soon as she started to turn towards me, I instinctively threw myself into some nearby bushes. I didn’t even know who she was; she just gave me as really bad feeling.


I also had a strange dream last night. I usually don’t remember my dreams, but I remember this one vividly. It was one of those false awaking dreams. I “woke up” and found this strange looking cat sitting on my stomach.  It looked like a cross between an Egyptian Mau and a Savannah, with copper colored eyes. It was staring at me intently, looking curious. Then it blinked and I woke up for real. Maybe it was Bastet, I don’t know.


I glimpsed the Rake crawling around an hour ago, but it didn’t stick around. No sign of Possum. I’m going to keep staring out the window for a few hours, see if anything comes back.



Valete

10 comments:

  1. Now if *you* had a crytid show on the scifi channel, I'd go out of my way to watch it. ;-)

    Hopefully the Rake will think (if it thinks at all), that the light was an accident or on a timer, and it will not put two and two together or hold a grudge. If it thinks you turned the light on intentionally, it might decide to be even nastier than whatever it's initial plans were... hard to imagine, but probably easy for it to implement.

    I should have a new post on DAS by Friday with more warding ideas, but for today, I have to try my hand at exorcism and there will be new house guests by this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Shady: Thanks, I’ll try.

    @Mystery: Haha. :) I really should invest in a camera.

    I thought of that. There really isn’t much I can do about it, but I did try something. I turned the lights on at almost exactly the same time as I did when I turned them on the Rake. I plan on doing the same tonight. Hopefully he’ll think they are automatic or something.

    Alright. I hope the exorcism goes well. Your clan is growing. I would join you, but I really don’t have a reason to leave here besides the Rake and Possum, and I wouldn’t want to lead them to you guys anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...Shit. So the Rake is near. Be safe. I hope the Rake doesn't tie you together with the lights...Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, the Rake. Do you know of any ways to get rid of it? Or will this be another abomination to live with?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Black Hawk: I’ll try, thanks. Yeah, me either. I have a few tricks up my sleeve if it does though. The light thing wasn’t the smartest thing I’ve ever done, but I felt…compelled, I guess, to do it. Thanks.

    @Eternity: No one knows much about the Rake. I’m going to try some things, but only if it starts to act aggressively towards me. It seems fairly beast-like, so maybe fire would work. It’s safe to say that any theories about the Rake not liking water are untrue; there are many sources of water on and near my property.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who knows, maybe it was a good thing you did it. Maybe that Possum thing was worth saving..Since you don't actually know what it is yet. It could prove to be..good..later on down the road. I hope that is the case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or maybe Possum will end up eating me, heheh. I hope saving him was a good idea as well. Maybe he’ll end up driving off the Rake? That would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I certainly hope it does not eat you. Otherwise, you may as well have let The Rake eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Eternity: I’d rather Possum didn’t eat me as well… It didn’t seem all that aggressive, at least.

    ReplyDelete